2012 MNO Annual General Assembly
From August 26-28, 2012, nearly 400 MNO citizens from across the province gathered in Sault Ste. Marie for the 19th MNO Annual General Assembly (AGA). The MNO Historic Sault Ste. Marie Métis Council hosted this year’s AGA, which was a resounding success. The MNO AGA is the largest Métis gathering of its kind held annually in Ontario. It brings together Métis Senators and Elders, Veterans, youth, women and men from across the province to celebrate Métis history and culture while conducting the business of the Métis Nation.
This year’s exciting AGA included the following highlights:
- Musket Volleys kicked off the AGA as part of the traditional Grand Opening and Procession the evening of Saturday August 25. The Ceremonies included voyageur canoes greeted by historical re-enactors portraying War of 1812 soldiers, MNO citizens dressed in traditional Métis clothing and a swearing in ceremony for the new PCMNO (click here for more details);
- During his State of the Nation Address, MNO President Gary Lipinski called on the MNO to put more emphasis on finding ways to support Métis Children and youth. Click here for more details on the AGA business sections;
- Entertainment from some of Ontario’s best Métis performers was featured during the Sharing Our Pride: Métis Storytellers and Cultural Performance celebration (click here for more details);
- Cultural activities including the Métis Voyageur Games. These games are competitions based on traditional voyageur activities and were covered to appear on the APTN (click here for more details);
- The MNO presented 17 MNO citizens with Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medals (click here for more details).
- Delegates had the opportunity to view the video slide show: We aspire to attain our highest potential. The video reviewed the MNO’s achievements in 2011-12 and explained how the MNO’s current programs link to the Statement of Prime Purpose, the founding document of the MNO, watch the video now.
- The AGA delegates passed a number of resolution. Click here to read all the resolutions approved.
Click here to view a slide show of images from the 2012 AGA.