Supporting job creation with the MNO
Ontario Expanding Economic Opportunities in Aboriginal Communities
Article from the Ministry of Aboriginal Affairs
Ontario is helping the Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) create jobs and explore new business opportunities.
Through the New Relationship Fund, MNO is hiring:
- An economic development coordinator to support resource-based development opportunities and relationship building with the public and private sectors.
- A traditional knowledge collection coordinator to gather data from across the province, inform on consultation activities and train MNO members in traditional knowledge and land use information collection.
The New Relationship Fund is also continuing to fund consultation coordinators to enhance MNO’s engagement with government and industry on lands and resources matters. Consultation coordinators are vital in helping MNO drive economic growth and pursue a range of business opportunities in the province’s resource sector and beyond.
Building strong, meaningful partnerships with Aboriginal communities and organizations is part of the Ontario government’s plan to create jobs and greater economic opportunity across the province.
“The New Relationship Fund is an economic driver that helps Aboriginal communities and organizations take part in consultation and pursue economic development opportunities. Our government’s support of Métis communities helps ensure more jobs and a more prosperous Ontario for everyone.”
— David Zimmer, Minister of Aboriginal Affairs
“This announcement builds on the strong relationship that has developed between the MNO and Ontario through the MNO-Ontario Framework Agreement, which was signed in 2008. The Framework Agreement has allowed both governments to work together in areas of our mutual interest including strengthening the MNO; recognizing and promoting Métis history and culture; enhancing the well-being of Métis individuals, families and communities; and facilitating the recognition of Métis rights in Ontario.”
— Gary Lipinski, President of the Métis Nation of Ontario
- The Métis Nation of Ontario is receiving over $90,000 through the New Relationship Fund.
- Since 2008, the fund has created more than 540 jobs and helped expand economic opportunities for 193 First Nation and Métis communities and organizations while fostering relationships among Aboriginal peoples, government and industry.
- A fund to provide resources and skills to Aboriginal communities and organizations was a key recommendation of The Report of the Ipperwash Inquiry released in 2007.
Find out more about the New Relationship Fund.
See ALL news articles