Métis Self Employment (MSE)
- To offer clients the skills and support necessary to develop a business plan, start a small business, and sustain the activity.
- To assist clients with mentorship, ongoing technical advice, and financial support. Coaching will be tailored to the individual's needs and can include business plan development, accounting, marketing, access to self-employment support services, use of computer skills, etc.
- Métis clients whether unemployed, under-employed and/or clients whose employment is at risk due to labour market changes, insufficient employment skills or certification.
Eligible Delivery Agent
- Clients must access training through the MNO intake and assessment process.
- Clients must submit a business description including information about the business, how it will be implemented, management/ staffing structure, production/ promotion plans, financing and budget information.
- If required, the training part of the program (developing the business plan, accounting, computer skills, etc.) should normally take 12-14 weeks.
- Additional income support and individual mentoring may take up to an additional 38-40 weeks. During this time, the client will continue to receive the training allowance, regardless of the business income.
- Client must work a minimum of 30 hours/week while implementing the business plan.
- It must be a new business having been in existence for no longer than 6 months, or an existing business that has declared bankruptcy.
- Support can also be provided to an existing business where training can help to ensure the viability of the business (e.g., marketing/technology training costs).
- The business can be a partnership, but the applicant must prove ownership of at least 50%. The client should be able to make a minimum 25% investment in the business (this may be cash or equity).
- Monthly progress reports and financial information will be required during the transition from development to implementation. Activity reports should also be received from the mentor.
- Training up to 14 weeks, implementation of Business Plan up to 1 year (52 weeks), Living Allowances for SEP cannot exceed 1 year (52 weeks).
Back to Employment and Training Programs page