Métis Wage Subsidy (MWS)
- To assist Métis individuals secure long-term employment through direct work experience opportunities by encouraging employers to hire and provide on-the-job experience.
- Program may also be utilized to encourage employers to hire Métis apprentices.
- Métis clients unemployed or under-employed and or clients whose employment is at risk due to the labour market changes, insufficient employment skills or certification.
Eligible Delivery Agents
- Métis Community Councils
- For-profit organizations, including partnerships and sole proprietorships
- Self-employed persons
- Aboriginal organizations
- Government institutions
- Non-profit groups
- Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (Workers’ Compensation or equivalent) insurance coverage must be provided by the employer for participants in accordance with, and where required by provincial regulations.
- Sponsors/Employers must possess the appropriate qualifications and expertise to develop, implement and manage the project.
- On-the-job training must relate directly to employment goals and must meet the needs of both the client and the industry or labour market.
- Clients must access training through the MNOET intake and assessment process.
- Employer must provide a completed wage subsidy proposal.
- Client must work a minimum of 20 hours per week.
- Subsidy rate is negotiated and will be based on prevailing wage rates.
- MWS clients shall not displace or replace existing employees or volunteers, employees on layoff, employees absent due to a labour management dispute, employees on vacation or interfere with a collective agreement;
- Maximum length of subsidy is 26 weeks
Back to Employment and Training Programs page