Location: Anywhere in Ontario
Remote Work: Flexible (both in-office and remote-work required)
Closes: January 17, 2023
Starting salary: $65,540 -85,220 per year based on experience. [2022 Rates]
All applicants are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to qualified applicants who meet the requirements for MNO Citizenship as per the MNO Bylaws and who are in good standing.
What We Offer
As an employer, the Métis Nation of Ontario offers a collaborative work environment with competitive salary
Further, permanent employees benefit from:
- Comprehensive employer-paid health benefits,
- Pension plan,
- 15 days’ vacation to start,
- Annual paid two-week holiday closure in December-January,
- 16 paid public and employer holidays,
- Early closures on long weekends,
- 15 paid health & wellness days (sick leave),
- Employee Assistance Plan, and
- Telemedicine plan.
- Preferred membership pricing at Goodlife gyms.
The Métis Nation of Ontario is seeking a full time Economic Development Officer (EDO). Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the EDO is responsible for providing value-added business development support services to Métis owned businesses who are interested in starting or expanding a business. In addition, the EDO assists with projects that will build potential for regional economic development, business opportunity and administrative support to the Economic Development Working Group (EDWG).
- Provides assistance on business development through community involvement to support the economic well-being of Métis communities by:
- facilitating information on planning and starting a new business
- using different performance measure to assess economic development needs.
- maintaining an inventory of existing Métis owned businesses and sector activities in the communities.
- Working with various partners to identify initiatives that would be of interest to the business community.
- Reaching out to potential entrepreneur citizens and offering assistance with developing business plans.
- Developing communication tools that will keep Métis business community informed.
- Provides or coordinates support programs for business owners by:
- Creating an innovation hub by facilitating information exchange between businesses.
- Developing training opportunities for business leaders in topics such as marketing, financial literacy, business plans and website development or other related topics.
- Supports business development initiatives by promoting opportunities for Métis owned businesses.
- Provides support with developing Economic Sustainability Frameworks by facilitating collaboration between community councils in each region. Supports regions with the reporting and implementing objectives as set out in each Economic Sustainability Framework.
Education, Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
We are seeking applicants demonstrating the following qualifications:
- A degree in community or economic development/international development, community planning, or a related field and/or certification as a Professional Economic Developer (EcD).
- Three (3) to five (5) years´ experience working within an economic development environment, preferably within the public sector.
- Knowledge of local, regional and rural Ontario economy.
- Knowledge of Community Economic Development theory and of economic development and planning principles within a local government context.
- Ability to manage numerous projects and deadlines simultaneously and to balance changing workloads and priorities.
- Excellent relationship building skills, able to establish and maintain effective working relationship with staff, elected members, businesses and communities.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Community engagement experience
- Ability to develop and present materials and concepts to diverse groups.
- Strong computer skills, including ability to proficiently use relevant hardware, software (including MS Office).
- Ability to be self-directed, results orientated and deliver professional products.
- Strong research, analysis, and strategic thinking skills.
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated – works well individually as well collaboratively as a team member
- Strong social media and communication skills are an asset.
Who We Are
In 1993, the Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) was established through the will of Métis people and Métis communities coming together throughout Ontario to create a Métis-specific governance structure and vision, encapsulated in the Statement of Prime Purpose. Today, the Métis Nation of Ontario represents over 25,000 Métis citizens.
The MNO delivers programs and services to its citizens through these branches: Healing and Wellness; Community Wellbeing; Education and Training; Housing; Lands, Resources and Consultation; Intergovernmental and Community Relations; Self-Government and Registry. Through these various branches, the MNO maintains 30+ offices and community spaces across the province, administers over $50 million annually, and employs about 350 staff across the province.
The Métis Nation of Ontario commits to providing accommodation as required by the Ontario Human Rights Act, unless to do so would cause undue hardship. Accommodations will be provided in accordance with the principles of dignity, individualization, and inclusion. The Métis Nation of Ontario will work cooperatively and in the spirit of respect with all partners in the accommodation process. These accommodations will extend to all aspects of the employment relationship including recruitment and selection.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you require an accommodation during the hiring process.
Please note, all employees, regardless of role or location, are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless the employee has a valid medical exemption. This condition of employment is effective for all employees, full or part-time, permanent or contract, whether working remotely or not, as of November 1, 2021.