Internal/External Job Posting
Location: Atikokan or Kenora or Dryden
Closes: April 8, 2021
Starting salary: $43,350 to $49,870 per year based on experience
The incumbent is responsible for the items listed under key responsibilities, as well as other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Supervisor of Education and Training.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
• Support clients and participants of all skills development projects operating in outlined service area to find and secure employment
• Develop relationships with employers, industry associations, unions and other employer stakeholders
• Establish links with other Aboriginal Employment groups and organizations to support clients on projects and in training
• Assist with the development and distribution of employer and project marketing materials
• Gather and evaluate local, regional and provincial labour market information
• Plan and deliver employer information sessions
• Participate in labour market planning discussions and employer-focused advisory groups as directed
• Review client information, skills and abilities and assist clients and project participants in acquiring the necessary academic qualifications for specific employment opportunities
• Provide advice, information and orientation sessions for clients on project and employer expectations, educational options and employment opportunities
• Develop resume and cover letter writing and interview preparation techniques and deliver sessions targeted to projects, specific sector and employment opportunities
• Liaise with industry representatives and employers to create employment opportunities for program participants
• Liaise with Manager of Projects and Partnership as a means of monitoring skills development project activity, deliverables and outcomes
• Assist with skills development project proposals and in project implementation
• Collaborate with Employment Counselor(s) and other project staff to serve project and client employment objectives
• Match client qualifications to job skills and employer needs and arrange interview opportunities
• Negotiate training subsidies with employers based on proposal guidelines
• Establish internships and summer experience opportunities with employers for Métis youth
• Maintain skills inventory and employer profiles on a database
• Monitor, evaluate and report on outcomes of training to employment interventions
• Maintain project statistics and submit required reports
• Ensure work plans and project milestones are met and reported accordingly
• Travel to Regional MNO offices and/or communities to give presentations or attend meetings. This may require overnight stays in the community and a varied work schedule
Education, Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
Post-secondary education in social sciences, humanities, social services, business administration or related discipline and/or a min of 2 years’ experience working in a related field
• Knowledge of the history, culture and structure of the Métis Nation of Ontario
• Experience working with Aboriginal communities is an asset
• Experience working in a non-profit environment
• Demonstrated strong administrative, organizational and communication skills (English), detail oriented
• Extensive experience of standard office operations and equipment
• Excellent computer skills (communications, programs and databases)
• Financial experience (budgeting, forecasting, monitoring, and reporting)
• Must be able to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team
• Successful completion and maintenance of a Police Security Check
• Must have a valid driver’s license and availability to travel
• Availability to travel, at times out of town, requiring overnight stays
Who we are:
In 1993, the Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) was established through the will of Métis people and Métis communities coming together throughout Ontario to create a Métis-specific governance structure and vision, encapsulated in the Statement of Prime Purpose.
Today, the Métis Nation of Ontario has built a province-wide governance structure which includes: an objectively verifiable, centralized registry of over 20,000 Métis citizens; approximately 31 Chartered Community Councils across the province which represent Métis citizens at the local level; a provincial governing body that is elected by ballot box every four years; an Annual General Assembly where regional and provincial Métis leaders are required to report back to Métis citizens yearly between elections; a charitable foundation which promotes and support Métis culture and heritage (Métis Nation of Ontario Cultural Commission); and an economic development arm (Métis Voyageur Development Fund).
In addition, the Métis Nation of Ontario has built an accountable, results-based provincial delivery structure to meet the socio-economic needs of its citizens and communities. Currently, the MNO delivers programs and services to its citizens through these branches: Healing and Wellness; Education and Training; Housing; Lands, Resources and Consultation; Intergovernmental and Community Relations; Self-Government and Registry. Through these various branches, the MNO maintains 30+ service delivery access points across the province, administers over $50 million annually, and employs about 300 personnel across the province.
What we offer:
As an employer, the Métis Nation of Ontario offers a collaborative work environment with competitive salary, comprehensive employer-paid health benefits, a pension plan, 10 days vacation to start, annual paid two-week holiday closure in December-January, 15 paid public and employer holidays, early closures on long weekends, and 15 paid health & wellness days (sick leave).
The Métis Nation of Ontario is a diverse and inclusive employer, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Preference may be given to qualified Métis candidates.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you require an accommodation during the hiring process.
Please email email@example.com if you are having issues with your application with your resume and cover letter or have any questions about the role.
We thank all applicants for their interest but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.