Location: Anywhere in Ontario, Thunder Bay Preferred
Closes: December 16, 2021
Starting Salary: $43,350, per year based on experience. [2021 Rates]
All applicants are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to qualified applicants who meet the requirements for MNO Citizenship as per the MNO Bylaws and who are in good standing.
What We Offer
As an employer, the Métis Nation of Ontario offers contract employees a collaborative work environment with competitive salary, comprehensive Employee Assistance Program (EAP), 4% paid in lieu for vacation, annual paid two-week holiday closure in December-January, 16 paid public and employer holidays, early closures on long weekends, and 15 paid health & wellness days (sick leave).
The Property Inspector is a key member of the Infinity Property Services—Metis Nation of Ontario team and provides property inspection services, contract administration, client services and administrative support within an assigned Property Management Region (PMR). Reporting to Regional Operations Manager, the Property Inspector conducts site inspections of small buildings and houses at stages of construction, during tenant move-ins and move-out, and completes Life Safety Inspections (LSI), Building Condition Assessments (BCA), and other building inspection services, and associated reporting.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical expertise and services as assigned on special projects, assisting in development of proposals and delivery of technical components of various other agreements
- entered into by IPS—MNO.
- Examine contractor bids and monitor progress of the work, recommending payment upon satisfactory completion as described by program and MNO-IPS requirements, policies, procedures and standards and other authorities having jurisdiction.
- Responsible for all aspects of maintenance support and any other duties assigned by the Manager.
- Issuing Work Orders, Purchase Orders and Change Orders and handling routine daily maintenance calls on behalf of Issues purchase orders up to $999.00 before taxes, to initiate work in PMR.
- Assist with the administration of all client programming by occupying rental units, responding to tenants and homeowner inquiries, counseling tenants on life skills related to budgeting, arrears management, and lease obligations.
- Adherence to Occupational Health & Safety Act requirements, as it pertains to daily work; advises Manager of unsafe working conditions on sites and participates in investigations as required.
- Responsible for the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) on all sites, as required.
- Organize workload, schedule inspections, and document inspection results, including the collection and attachment of photographs, documents, and reports in the computerized records management and tracking system.
- Collaborated on responses to enquiries from the public concerning assigned PMR with the Manager.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience performing building residential or small building inspections and or related experience in the construction and renovation industry.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience reviewing residential or small building construction drawings and permit drawings.
- Experience in the management and administration of mixed-use residential rental environment.
- Thorough knowledge of the Ontario Building Code, Ontario Building Code Act, including HVAC and Plumbing systems, Ontario
- Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations relevant to building construction and other applicable legislation/construction standards.
- Familiarity with the Residential Tenancies Act, Housing Services Act, Landlord and Tenant Tribunal, Ontario Rental Housing
- Tribunal, and Geared to Income Housing criteria considered an asset.
- Knowledge of the construction of all types of residential/commercial buildings.
- Knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word) and a high degree of digital literacy. Willingness and ability to adapt to and learn new software.
- Ability to plan, organize and manage work with minimal supervision and complete assigned duties accurately and within timelines.
- Strong written communication skills with the ability to prepare concise, detailed and accurate reports and correspondence.
- Must have a valid Ontario “G” driver’s license
Who We Are
In 1993, the Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) was established through the will of Métis people and Métis communities coming together throughout Ontario to create a Métis-specific governance structure and vision, encapsulated in the Statement of Prime Purpose. Today, the Métis Nation of Ontario represents over 25,000 Métis citizens.
The MNO delivers programs and services to its citizens through these branches: Healing and Wellness; Education and Training; Housing; Lands, Resources and Consultation; Intergovernmental and Community Relations; Self-Government and Registry. Through these various branches, the MNO maintains 30+ offices and community spaces across the province, administers over $50 million annually, and employs about 350 staff across the province.
The Métis Nation of Ontario commits to providing accommodation as required by the Ontario Human Rights Act, unless to do so would cause undue hardship. Accommodations will be provided in accordance with the principles of dignity, individualization, and inclusion. The Métis Nation of Ontario will work cooperatively and in the spirit of respect with all partners in the accommodation process. These accommodations will extend to all aspects of the employment relationship including recruitment and selection.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you require an accommodation during the hiring process.
Please note, all employees, regardless of role or location, are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless the employee has a valid medical exemption. This condition of employment is effective for all employees, full or part-time, permanent or contract, whether working remotely or not, as of November 1, 2021.