Location: Anywhere in Ontario, Barrie Preferred
Closes: January 3, 2021
Starting Salary: 60,960, per year based on experience. [2021 Rates]
All applicants are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to qualified applicants who meet the requirements for MNO Citizenship as per the MNO Bylaws and who are in good standing.
What We Offer
As an employer, the Métis Nation of Ontario offers a collaborative work environment with competitive salary, comprehensive employer-paid health benefits, a pension plan, 10 vacation to start, annual paid two-week holiday closure in December-January, 16 paid public and employer holidays, early closures on long weekends, and 15 paid health & wellness days (sick leave).
The Supervisor- IPS Finance is responsible for the planning, implementation, managing and running of IPS financial activity, including business planning, forecasting, and procurement for IPS operations as well as property management contracts. The IPS Finance Supervisor will direct all fiscal functions of the organization in accordance with regulatory and advisory organizations, while balancing responsibilities of stewardship and business partnership.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Oversee all direct reports through providing mentoring and coaching, performance check ins, discipline as needed to ensure that deadlines are being met in a professional and timely manner
• Use current financial policies and make recommendations/changes to ensure operational efficiency. Review, analyze and make recommendations as required or requested by the General Manager and/or as required to meet accounting standards or to ensure the day-to-day operations run smoothly. Annual review is required.
• Plan, develop, review, revise and provide yearly work plans and reports regarding the finance department. Prepare and submit reports to the General Manager as required.
• Prepare budgets, budget forecasts, analysis and make recommendations monthly, quarterly, yearly and multi-yearly. Ensure all departments and employees are aware of their budgets.
• Conduct periodic financial analysis to identify and resolve issues, gaps or variances.
• Assist the General Manager with all aspects of the annual audit, including recommendations and posting for an auditing firm; preparing and coordinating with the auditor on the year-end audit and assisting with the audit report.
• Ensure data integrity in all financial reporting and efficient accounting operations of the organization including the review of journal entries, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliations, the financial system and all statutory reporting.
• Assist with budgets and forecasting activities, including preparation, analysis and presentation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial results. Ensure the records are accurate and provided in a timely manner for accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash flow, purchase orders, grants, bank reconciliations etc. for internal and external reporting as required.
• Utilize accounting system functionality, prepare and post adjusting and recurring journal entries and update general ledger accounts for monthly revenue and expenditure transactions; analyze and reconcile accounts to the general ledger as required; generate monthly trial balances; prepare year-end accruals and adjustments; prepare reversing entries and close the general ledger.
• Prepare and conduct final review of all funding proposals before submitting to General Manager
• Work in conjunction with all employees to identify financial sources and to ensure funding and/or grant applications are sufficient and reasonable to carry out the work required.
• Ensure all transactions have been properly approved and comply with the Infinity Property Services, Metis Nation of Ontario and property owner’s financial policies, procedures and any required financial standards.
• Ensure that the financial operating system is secure and the confidentiality of all information is upheld to protect all employees and Infinity Property Services—Metis Nation of Ontario information.
•Use current procurement policies and make recommendations/changes to ensure operational efficiency. Review, analyze and make recommendations as required or requested by the General Manager and/or as required to meet procurement standards or to ensure the day-to-day operations run smoothly.
• Make recommendations on any contracts the Infinity Property Services—Metis Nation of Ontario is a party to such as rentals, telephone, computers, vehicles, heritage, etc. that have financial implications for the organization.
• Plan, develop, review, revise and provide yearly procurement work plans and reports regarding the procurement department. Prepare and submit reports to the General Manager as requested.
• Research and source key suppliers based on price, quality, delivery, discount terms, service after sale, etc.
•Degree in Business/Accounting from a recognized college or university, with preference for an advanced degree or professional accounting designation, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
•Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in all aspects of corporate accounting, financial management, and procurement management.
• Demonstrated excellent communication skills both written and verbally.
•Exceptional problem-solving, time management and analytical skills to prioritize work load pressures and deadlines.
• Proven experience assisting with financial and procurement audits performed by external audit firms.
• Advanced knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word) and a high degree of digital literacy. Willingness and ability to adapt to and learn new software.
• Experience with Great Plains, ACCPAC/ SAGE accounting software.
• Proven experience working efficiently and effectively as part of a team, as well as independently.
• Proven ability to work well under pressure and meet set deadlines while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
• Familiarity with the Residential Tenancies Act, Housing Services Act, Landlord and Tenant Tribunal, Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal, Ontario Building Codes, and Geared to Income
Who We Are
In 1993, the Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) was established through the will of Métis people and Métis communities coming together throughout Ontario to create a Métis-specific governance structure and vision, encapsulated in the Statement of Prime Purpose. Today, the Métis Nation of Ontario represents over 25,000 Métis citizens.
The MNO delivers programs and services to its citizens through these branches: Healing and Wellness; Education and Training; Housing; Lands, Resources and Consultation; Intergovernmental and Community Relations; Self-Government and Registry. Through these various branches, the MNO maintains 30+ offices and community spaces across the province, administers over $50 million annually, and employs about 350 staff across the province.
The Métis Nation of Ontario commits to providing accommodation as required by the Ontario Human Rights Act, unless to do so would cause undue hardship. Accommodations will be provided in accordance with the principles of dignity, individualization, and inclusion. The Métis Nation of Ontario will work cooperatively and in the spirit of respect with all partners in the accommodation process. These accommodations will extend to all aspects of the employment relationship including recruitment and selection.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you require an accommodation during the hiring process.
Please note, all employees, regardless of role or location, are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless the employee has a valid medical exemption. This condition of employment is effective for all employees, full or part-time, permanent or contract, whether working remotely or not, as of November 1, 2021.