Location: Orillia or Barrie, Ontario
Remote Work: Remote (no regular in-office work required
Closes: September 20, 2023
Starting Salary: $47,540, per year based on experience. [2023 Rates]
All applicants are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to qualified applicants who meet the requirements for MNO Citizenship as per the MNO Bylaws and who are in good standing.
What We Offer
As an employer, the Métis Nation of Ontario offers a collaborative work environment with competitive salary.
Further, contract employees benefit from:
• Optional pension plan,
• 4% vacation pay,
• Annual paid two-week holiday closure in December-January,
• 16 paid public and employer holidays,
• Early closures on long weekends,
• 15 paid health & wellness days (sick leave),
• Employee Assistance Plan, and
• Telemedicine plan.
• Preferred membership pricing at Goodlife gyms.
The Property Inspector conducts site inspections of small buildings and houses at mandatory stages of construction, during tenant move-ins and move-out, and as required, checking and enforcing compliance with the reviewed permit documents, building drawings, the Ontario Building Code, and related legislation or municipal by-laws. The Property Inspector conducts inspections of residential housing projects and follows up on open (dormant or stale) building permits to check and enforce compliance with the reviewed permit documents, the Ontario Building Code, and related legislation. The Property Inspector provides inspection costs associated with work required within assigned PMR. The Property Inspector provides Life Safety Inspections (LSI), Building Condition Assessments (BCA), and other building inspection services, and associated reporting.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Provide technical expertise and services as assigned on special projects, assisting in development of proposals and delivery of technical components of various other agreements
• entered into by IPS—MNO.
• Examine contractor bids and monitor progress of the work, recommending payment upon satisfactory completion as described by program and MNO-IPS requirements, policies, procedures and standards and other authorities having jurisdiction.
• Responsible for all aspects of maintenance support and any other duties assigned by the Manager.
• Issuing Work Orders, Purchase Orders and Change Orders and handling routine daily maintenance calls on behalf of Issues purchase orders up to $999.00 before taxes, to initiate work in PMR.
• Assist with the administration of all client programming by occupying rental units, responding to tenants and homeowner inquiries, counseling tenants on life skills related to budgeting, arrears management, and lease obligations.
• Adherence to Occupational Health & Safety Act requirements, as it pertains to daily work; advises Manager of unsafe working conditions on sites and participates in investigations as required.
• Responsible for the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) on all sites, as required.
• Organize workload, schedule inspections, and document inspection results, including the collection and attachment of photographs, documents, and reports in the computerized records management and tracking system.
• Collaborated on responses to enquiries from the public concerning assigned PMR with the Manager.
• Minimum of 1 years’ experience performing building residential or small building inspections and or related experience in the construction and renovation industry.
• Minimum of 1 years’ experience reviewing residential or small building construction drawings and permit drawings.
• Experience or familiarity with the management and administration of mixed-use residential rental environment.
• Some knowledge of the Ontario Building Code, Ontario Building Code Act, including HVAC and Plumbing systems, Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations relevant to building construction and other applicable legislation/construction standards.
• Familiarity with the Residential Tenancies Act, Housing Services Act, Landlord and Tenant Tribunal, Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal, and Geared to Income Housing criteria considered an asset.
• Familiarity with the construction of all types of residential/commercial buildings.
• Knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word) and a high degree of digital literacy. Willingness and ability to adapt to and learn new software.
• Ability to plan, organize and manage work with minimal supervision and complete assigned duties accurately and within timelines.
• Strong written communication skills with the ability to prepare concise, detailed and accurate reports and correspondence.
• Must have a valid Ontario “G” driver’s license
• Must have a reliable vehicle
Who We Are
In 1993, the Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) was established through the will of Métis people and Métis communities coming together throughout Ontario to create a Métis-specific governance structure and vision, encapsulated in the Statement of Prime Purpose. Today, the Métis Nation of Ontario represents over 25,000 Métis citizens.
The MNO delivers programs and services to its citizens through these branches: Healing and Wellness; Community Wellbeing; Education and Training; Housing; Lands, Resources and Consultation; Intergovernmental and Community Relations; Self-Government and Registry. Through these various branches, the MNO maintains 30+ offices and community spaces across the province, administers over $50 million annually, and employs about 350 staff across the province.
The Métis Nation of Ontario commits to providing accommodation as required by the Ontario Human Rights Act, unless to do so would cause undue hardship. Accommodations will be provided in accordance with the principles of dignity, individualization, and inclusion. The Métis Nation of Ontario will work cooperatively and in the spirit of respect with all partners in the accommodation process. These accommodations will extend to all aspects of the employment relationship including recruitment and selection.
Please email email@example.com if you require an accommodation during the hiring process.
Please note, all employees, regardless of role or location, are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless the employee has a valid medical exemption. This condition of employment is effective for all employees, full or part-time, permanent or contract, whether working remotely or not, as of November 1, 2021.