Internal/External Job Posting/Permanent
Location: Barrie, Timmins, Kitchener (Ontario)
Closes: May 3, 2021
Salary Band: 4
Salary Range: Starting salary of $43,350, with a maximum of $49,870
Number of positions available: 3
Summary of Position:
The Property Inspector is a key member of the Infinity Property Services—Metis Nation of Ontario team and provides property inspection services, contract administration, client services and administrative support within an assigned Property Management Region (PMR). Reporting to Regional Operations Manager, the Property Inspector conducts site inspections of small buildings and houses at stages of construction, during tenant move-ins and move-out, and completes Life Safety Inspections (LSI), Building Condition Assessments (BCA), and other building inspection services, and associated reporting.
Technical Services (50%)
- Provides full spectrum of inspection services for all housing units and housing programs within assigned Property Management Region (PMR), including: Assessing property condition, determining cost-effective corrective measures, producing work descriptions, and estimating cost of corrective measures
- Complete Energy Audits and provide recommendation on energy saving measures
- Provide technical expertise and services as assigned on special projects, assisting in development of proposals and delivery of technical components of various other agreements entered into by IPS—MNO.
- Track statistical information related to technical services, costs, needs assessments, and capacity planning.
- Examine contractor bids and monitor progress of the work, recommending payment upon satisfactory completion as described by program and MNO-IPS requirements, policies, procedures and standards and other authorities having jurisdiction.
- Provides support for after hour maintenance requests as required on a rotation bases.
Contract Administration (30%)
- Responsible for all aspects of maintenance support and any other duties assigned by the Manager
- Prepares tender call packages for distribution to the contractor either by invitational or public
- Issuing Work Orders, Purchase Orders and Change Orders and handling routine daily maintenance calls on behalf of Issues purchase orders up to $999.00 before taxes, to initiate work in PMR.
- Ensures that any contractor performing work carries all applicable contract security; i.e. WSID, liability insurance.
- Responsible for acting on any Fire Insurance Claims within timeframe specified in procedure or as required by the Manager
Client Services (10%)
- Act as point of secondary response for tenant relationships and complaint management, including being available for after-hours call on a rotating basis.
- Assist with the administration of all client programming by occupying rental units, responding to tenants and homeowner inquiries, counseling tenants on life skills related to budgeting, arrears management, and lease obligations.
- Makes contact with Service Managers, Municipal Managers, private sector, and potential contacts as required to promote the IPS—MNO business lines
Operational Administration (10%)
- Adherence to Occupational Health & Safety Act requirements, as it pertains to daily work; advises Manager of unsafe working conditions on sites and participates in investigations as required.
- Responsible for the proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) on all sites, as required.
- Organize workload, schedule inspections, and document inspection results, including the collection and attachment of photographs, documents, and reports in the computerized records management and tracking system.
- Collaborated on responses to enquiries from the public concerning assigned PMR with the Manager
- Prepare accurate detailed reports and provide all necessary documents/recommendations to the Manager for approval.
Required formal education & training
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a discipline such as architectural technology, building science, or civil engineering technology or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Home Inspection Certification from a recognized body in Ontario
- Certified Energy Auditor or in the process of completing certification
- Project Management Certification is an asset.
Knowledge, skills & experience
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience performing building residential or small building inspections and or related experience in the construction and renovation industry.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience reviewing residential or small building construction drawings and permit drawings.
- Experience in the management and administration of mixed-use residential rental environment.
- Thorough knowledge of the Ontario Building Code, Ontario Building Code Act, including HVAC and Plumbing systems, Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations relevant to building construction and other applicable legislation/construction standards.
- Familiarity with the Residential Tenancies Act, Housing Services Act, Landlord and Tenant Tribunal, Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal, and Geared to Income Housing criteria considered an asset.
- Knowledge of the construction of all types of residential/commercial buildings.
- Knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word) and a high degree of digital literacy. Willingness and ability to adapt to and learn new software.
- Ability to read and interpret plans specifications, codes and by-laws.
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with customers, general public and all levels of staff by telephone, in person and in writing.
- Ability to plan, organize and manage work with minimal supervision and complete assigned duties accurately and within timelines.
- Exceptional verbal communication skills and the ability to stay calm in difficult situations.
- Strong written communication skills with the ability to prepare concise, detailed and accurate reports and correspondence.
- Must have a valid Ontario “G” driver’s license
What we offer:
As an employer, the Métis Nation of Ontario offers a collaborative work environment with competitive salary, comprehensive employer-paid health benefits, a pension plan, 10 days vacation to start, annual paid two-week holiday closure in December-January, 15 paid public and employer holidays, early closures on long weekends, and 15 paid health & wellness days (sick leave).
Who we are:
In 1993, the Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) was established through the will of Métis people and Métis communities coming together throughout Ontario to create a Métis-specific governance structure and vision, encapsulated in the Statement of Prime Purpose.
Today, the Métis Nation of Ontario has built a province-wide governance structure which includes: an objectively verifiable, centralized registry of over 20,000 Métis citizens; approximately 31 Chartered Community Councils across the province which represent Métis citizens at the local level; a provincial governing body that is elected by ballot box every four years; an Annual General Assembly where regional and provincial Métis leaders are required to report back to Métis citizens yearly between elections; a charitable foundation which promotes and support Métis culture and heritage (Métis Nation of Ontario Cultural Commission); and an economic development arm (Métis Voyageur Development Fund).
In addition, the Métis Nation of Ontario has built an accountable, results-based provincial delivery structure to meet the socio-economic needs of its citizens and communities. Currently, the MNO delivers programs and services to its citizens through these branches: Healing and Wellness; Education and Training; Housing; Lands, Resources and Consultation; Intergovernmental and Community Relations; Self-Government and Registry. Through these various branches, the MNO maintains 30+ service delivery access points across the province, administers over $50 million annually, and employs about 300 personnel across the province.
The Métis Nation of Ontario is a diverse and inclusive employer, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Preference may be given to qualified Métis candidates.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you require an accommodation during the hiring process.
Please email email@example.com if you are having issues with your application with your resume and cover letter or have any questions about the role.
We thank all applicants for their interest but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.