Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Remote Work: Flexible (both in-office and remote-work required)
Closes: September 21, 2022
Starting Salary: $65,540 – $74,700, per year based on experience. Salary Range Max $85,220 [2022 Rates]
All applicants are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to qualified applicants who meet the requirements for MNO Citizenship as per the MNO Bylaws and who are in good standing.
What We Offer
As an employer, the Métis Nation of Ontario offers a collaborative work environment with competitive salary
Further, permanent employees benefit from:
- Comprehensive employer-paid health benefits,
- Pension plan,
- 10 days’ vacation to start,
- Annual paid two-week holiday closure in December-January,
- 16 paid public and employer holidays,
- Early closures on long weekends,
- 15 paid health & wellness days (sick leave),
- Employee Assistance Plan, and
- Telemedicine plan.
- Preferred membership pricing at Goodlife gyms.
The Accounting Supervisor role involves overseeing the organization and completion of daily work of the Accounts Payable team and involves high level financial tasks and responsibilities that are both repetitive/routine and/or non-routine specialized tasks. The tasks require a high degree of focus, attention to detail, analysis and problem solving. An accounting degree or diploma is required or alternatively significant relevant experience. This role has a moderate to high level of independent decision-making authority within established processes and procedures and pre-set generally accepted accounting principles.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing daily accounts payable transactions and provide guidance and assistance to accounts payable co-ordinators
- Ensuring the accurate and timely processing of vendor invoices, volunteer and employee expense claims and credit card by reviewing taxes, coding, supporting documents, authorization and adherence with Financial Policies and Procedures
- Ensuring the accuracy of related banking transactions, including reviewing rejected payments to ensure correction and future error reduction as well as investigating and addressing outstanding cheques
- Following up for prompt payment and problem resolution on outstanding invoices with accounts payable co-ordinators and vendors
- Allocating and monitoring workload amongst team members
- Ensuring the integrity of the accounts payable accounting system sub-ledger by reviewing the AP Subledger and investigating old AP items and credit notes
- Assisting in the preparation of month-end, quarter-end and year end reports for review by the Finance Controller
- Reporting monthly, quarterly and annual metrics/analytics intended to measure output and capacity of the team
- Recommending and developing areas for process improvement in co-ordination with Finance Controller
- Answering and direct internal and external communications (phone calls, e-mails, etc.), and provide support to management within the organization on financial procedures related to accounts payable
- Coordinating and participating in testing for system upgrades and other enhancements as Accounts Payable subject matter expert
- Providing back-up for accounts payable co-ordinators
- Providing supporting documentation for year end audit requests
- Maintain a high-level of confidentiality
- Other reasonable duties as may be assigned
- Strong desire to act in the service of the Métis Citizens, to advance and uphold rights and culture
- Post-secondary education in a related field (i.e. Accounting or Finance)
- High degree of accounting and technology literacy and proficiency in standard office equipment
- Expertise in Great Plains or equivalent accounting system
- Superior organization skills and time/priority-management
- Highly detail-oriented
- Demonstrated ability to work alone/independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
- 2-3 years related experience in a similar/comparable role
- Demonstrated experience dealing with confidential information
- Knowledge of DataBasics (or similar software)
- Professional certification (i.e. CPA)
- Advanced communications skills
All positions at the MNO may require the following:
- Current CPR/First Aid certification or ability to obtain
- Completion and maintenance of Vulnerable Sector Verification
- A reliable vehicle (or ability to rent), driver’s licence, $1,000,000 liability insurance, and a clean driving record
- Flexibility to work extended hours as necessary
- Ability to occasionally travel within Ontario for limited periods of time
Who We Are
In 1993, the Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) was established through the will of Métis people and Métis communities coming together throughout Ontario to create a Métis-specific governance structure and vision, encapsulated in the Statement of Prime Purpose. Today, the Métis Nation of Ontario represents over 25,000 Métis citizens.
The MNO delivers programs and services to its citizens through these branches: Healing and Wellness; Community Wellbeing; Education and Training; Housing; Lands, Resources and Consultation; Intergovernmental and Community Relations; Self-Government and Registry. Through these various branches, the MNO maintains 30+ offices and community spaces across the province, administers over $50 million annually, and employs about 350 staff across the province.
The Métis Nation of Ontario commits to providing accommodation as required by the Ontario Human Rights Act, unless to do so would cause undue hardship. Accommodations will be provided in accordance with the principles of dignity, individualization, and inclusion. The Métis Nation of Ontario will work cooperatively and in the spirit of respect with all partners in the accommodation process. These accommodations will extend to all aspects of the employment relationship including recruitment and selection.
Please email email@example.com if you require an accommodation during the hiring process.
Please note, all employees, regardless of role or location, are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless the employee has a valid medical exemption. This condition of employment is effective for all employees, full or part-time, permanent or contract, whether working remotely or not, as of November 1, 2021.