Full-time, Permanent Position
Closes: March 2, 2021
Starting salary range: $60,960-70,120 annually per year based on experience
Who we are:
In 1993, the Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) was established through the will of Métis people and Métis communities coming together throughout Ontario to create a Métis-specific governance structure and vision, encapsulated in the Statement of Prime Purpose, which has been central to the MNO’s success over the last 27 years. Some of the goals set out in the MNO Statement of Prime Purpose include:
Creating a Métis-specific governance structure for the implementation of the nation’s inherent right to self-government in the province;
Establishing a credible and recognized identification system for Métis people within the province;
Focusing on ‘nation building’ through working together as a collective in order to support Métis citizens and communities;
Pursuing a rights-based agenda and proudly asserting the Métis existence as a distinct Aboriginal people within Ontario;
Protecting and preserving the distinct culture and heritage of the Métis Nation in the province; and,
Improving the social and economic well-being of Métis children, families and communities throughout the province.
Today, the Métis Nation of Ontario has built a province-wide governance structure which includes: an objectively verifiable, centralized registry of over 20,000 Métis citizens; approximately 31 Chartered Community Councils across the province which represent Métis citizens at the local level; a provincial governing body that is elected by ballot box every four years; an Annual General Assembly where regional and provincial Métis leaders are required to report back to Métis citizens yearly between elections; a charitable foundation which promotes and support Métis culture and heritage (Métis Nation of Ontario Cultural Commission); and an economic development arm (Métis Voyageur Development Fund).
In addition, the Métis Nation of Ontario has built an accountable, results-based provincial delivery structure to meet the socio-economic needs of its citizens and communities. Currently, the MNO delivers programs and services to its citizens through these branches: Healing and Wellness; Education and Training; Housing; Lands, Resources and Consultation; Intergovernmental and Community Relations; Self-Government and Registry. Through these various branches, the MNO maintains 30+ service delivery access points across the province, administers over $50 million annually, and employs about 300 personnel across the province.
What we offer:
As an employer, the Métis Nation of Ontario offers a collaborative work environment with competitive salary, comprehensive employer-paid health benefits, a pension plan (1% (mandatory)- 3% (optional) , employer matched), 10 days vacation to start, annual paid two-week holiday closure in December-January, 15 paid public and employer holidays, early closures on long weekends, and 15 paid health & wellness days (sick leave).
The Supervisor- IPS Finance is responsible for the planning, implementation, managing and running of IPS financial activity, including business planning, forecasting, and procurement for IPS operations as well as property management contracts. The IPS Finance Supervisor will direct all fiscal functions of the organization in accordance with regulatory and advisory organizations, while balancing responsibilities of stewardship and business partnership.
The supervisor oversees all finance and procurement day to day activities and may have the following direct reports:
• AR/ AP Clerk
The Supervisor, IPS Finance has the following key responsibilities:
People Leader Responsibilities (15%)
• Oversee all direct reports through providing mentoring and coaching, performance check ins, discipline as needed to ensure that deadlines are being met in a professional and timely manner
• Sit in on interview panels and make recommendations for selection of successful employees
• Supervisors have health and safety accountabilities
• Use current financial policies and make recommendations/changes to ensure operational efficiency. Review, analyze and make recommendations as required or requested by the General Manager and/or as required to meet accounting standards or to ensure the day-to-day operations run smoothly. Annual review is required.
• Plan, develop, review, revise and provide yearly work plans and reports regarding the finance department. Prepare and submit reports to the General Manager as required.
• Prepare budgets, budget forecasts, analysis and make recommendations monthly, quarterly, yearly and multi-yearly. Ensure all departments and employees are aware of their budgets.
• Conduct periodic financial analysis to identify and resolve issues, gaps or variances.
• Assist the General Manager with all aspects of the annual audit, including recommendations and posting for an auditing firm; preparing and coordinating with the auditor on the year-end audit and assisting with the audit report.
• Ensure data integrity in all financial reporting and efficient accounting operations of the organization including the review of journal entries, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliations, the financial system and all statutory reporting.
• Assist with budgets and forecasting activities, including preparation, analysis and presentation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial results. Ensure the records are accurate and provided in a timely manner for accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash flow, purchase orders, grants, bank reconciliations etc. for internal and external reporting as required.
• Utilize accounting system functionality, prepare and post adjusting and recurring journal entries and update general ledger accounts for monthly revenue and expenditure transactions; analyze and reconcile accounts to the general ledger as required; generate monthly trial balances; prepare year-end accruals and adjustments; prepare reversing entries and close the general ledger.
• Prepare and conduct final review of all funding proposals before submitting to General Manager
• Work in conjunction with all employees to identify financial sources and to ensure funding and/or grant applications are sufficient and reasonable to carry out the work required.
• Ensure all transactions have been properly approved and comply with the Infinity Property Services, Metis Nation of Ontario and property owner’s financial policies, procedures and any required financial standards.
• Ensure that the financial operating system is secure and the confidentiality of all information is upheld to protect all employees and Infinity Property Services—Metis Nation of Ontario information.
• Assist with financial aspects of program administration.
• Use current procurement policies and make recommendations/changes to ensure operational efficiency. Review, analyze and make recommendations as required or requested by the General Manager and/or as required to meet procurement standards or to ensure the day-to-day operations run smoothly.
• Make recommendations on any contracts the Infinity Property Services—Metis Nation of Ontario is a party to such as rentals, telephone, computers, vehicles, heritage, etc. that have financial implications for the organization.
• Plan, develop, review, revise and provide yearly procurement work plans and reports regarding the procurement department. Prepare and submit reports to the General Manager as requested.
• Create a procurement strategy in partnership with the General Manager.
• Research and source key suppliers based on price, quality, delivery, discount terms, service after sale, etc.
• Develop effective relationships with suppliers to facilitate business transactions.
• Process requisitions, issue purchase orders and enter into the system.
• Work closely with all employees to best determine the goods and services they will require, including making recommendations, researching new products and providing current information.
• Follow up to ensure vendor and materials performance was satisfactory.
• Conduct final review of all procurement before submitting to General Manager.
• Establish and determine inventory levels to optimize inventory level/investment
• Other responsibilities and duties as assigned by the General Manager or designate(s).
Required formal education & training
• Degree in Business/Accounting from a recognized college or university, with preference for an advanced degree or professional accounting designation, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in all aspects of corporate accounting, financial management, and procurement management.
Knowledge, skills & experience
• Demonstrated excellent communication skills both written and verbally.
• Exceptional problem-solving, time management and analytical skills to prioritize work load pressures and deadlines.
• Proven experience assisting with financial and procurement audits performed by external audit firms.
• Advanced knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word) and a high degree of digital literacy. Willingness and ability to adapt to and learn new software.
• Experience with Great Plains, ACCPAC/ SAGE accounting software.
• Exceptional communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Exceptional time management and prioritization skills.
• Proven experience working efficiently and effectively as part of a team, as well as independently.
• Proven ability to work well under pressure and meet set deadlines while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
• Familiarity with the Residential Tenancies Act, Housing Services Act, Landlord and Tenant Tribunal, Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal, Ontario Building Codes, and Geared to Income Housing criteria considered an asset.
The Métis Nation of Ontario is a diverse and inclusive employer, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Preference may be given to qualified Métis candidates.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you require an accommodation during the hiring process.
Please email email@example.com if you are having issues with your application with your resume and cover letter or have any questions about the role.
We thank all applicants for their interest but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.