Mid-September to late October — Virtually through Zoom
The Métis Nation of Ontario is excited to be hosting Été: Youth Way of Life Workshop Series this September and October across the province virtually via the Zoom platform.
The workshops allow participants to explore different skills and gain a deeper understanding of their Métis culture and way of life. The three cultural workshops are available either as weekly evening sessions or Saturday afternoon sessions. Participants can choose the workshops they would like to attend, whether it be one or all three! However, they will be expected to attend all the dates listed for each workshop.
STUDENT ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
- Self-identify as Métis
- Enrolled and attending high school within the province of Ontario
- In grades 10, 11, 12 (age 15-18)
- Provide a letter of support from a parent/guardian or Metis community council member and a letter of motivation.
- Access to technology and reliable internet is required to participate in the camp.
WAY OF LIFE WORKSHOPS:
- Navigation — The waterways of Ontario play an important role in our Métis history and culture. Our ancestors were skilled navigators on land and water. In this series, participants get a foundation in map and compass reading as well as route planning; allowing them to maintain the connection to land and water safely and efficiently.
Tuesdays, October 6, 13, 20 from 7-9PM
Workshops will engage youth through interactions with Youth Role Models and Knowledge Holders, PCMNO Senators, MNO staff and facilitators in events/activities. Participants can choose the workshops they would like to attend, whether it be one or all three of the workshops.
Space is limited, so please register and complete the application as soon as possible. Access the MNO Application Portal here: https://metisnation.smapply.io/.
Application deadline is Friday, September 18 at 11:59 PM.
Cortnee Buchanan, Project Coordinator
Ph: (705) 527-3523
Posted September 12, 2020