At the heart of the Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) lies a core commitment: to offer assistance and support to MNO citizens that makes a difference in their lives.
This commitment — outlined in the MNO Statement of Prime Purpose — has been central to the MNO since its founding three decades ago. The MNO’s unwavering dedication to serving citizens has inspired the creation of a comprehensive suite of support services, including: employment assistance, access to education, provision of school supplies and post-secondary funding, food vouchers for families facing financial hardship, transportation to medical appointments, support navigating the justice system, help with the home-buying process, access to housing, assistance in leaving violent situations, and even everyday tasks like shoveling driveways for elderly community members during harsh winters. These are to name just a few.
The overarching objective is always to guarantee that MNO citizens receive the necessary support, addressing their individual needs.
The MNO takes great pride in providing such comprehensive support, however, we recognize that the breadth of services offered can sometimes be a challenging to navigate for those seeking help.
This is where the OneMNO Navigators come into play.
With a quick phone call or an email, MNO citizens can be connected to a member of the OneMNO Navigator team who will act as their personal guide to MNO services. These highly knowledgeable Navigators will assess the citizen’s specific needs and utilize their expertise to recommend the most pertinent MNO programs and services, ensuring a tailored approach to each individual’s requirements.
The OneMNO Navigators program was born out of necessity. When the COVID-19 pandemic hit in 2020, and with the subsequent lockdown many MNO citizens were having trouble accessing programs without being able to leave their homes. But, in just a few short weeks, the MNO created a series of emergency support programs and assembled a Emergency Response Team to respond to citizens affected by the pandemic. The Emergency Response Team has since evolved into the OneMNO Navigator program, a comprehensive, one-stop solution for individuals seeking assistance from the MNO.
The OneMNO Navigator program offers numerous benefits. Primarily, it minimizes the time and effort citizens must invest in their search for the right program. Navigators serve as personalized guides, greatly enhancing the efficiency and user-friendliness of the process. This system guarantees that no one is left in the dark about the available services.
“We designed the OneMNO program to be the single point of contact for citizens,” said Program Manager, Tracy Bald.
“We don’t want citizens to experience looking for services and ‘finding the wrong door’. We want to make sure that when citizens call OneMNO, they will be speaking with an individual who will help find the right program to suit their needs.”
“I think one of the coolest parts about being a One MNO Navigator is the response that we get from potential clients when they speak to a live person instead of an automated system,” said Navigator Joel Tarantini.”
“Throughout my time with the One MNO, I’ve developed a much more thorough knowledge of the programs and resources available to MNO citizens, including external community supports.”
Additionally, the system encourages citizens to explore the full range of services offered by the MNO, some of which they may not have been aware of previously. The Navigators take the time to educate callers about all available programs within the Metis community.
The OneMNO Navigators program has revolutionized the way MNO citizens access and benefit from MNO programs. The OneMNO Navigators program reinforces MNO’s unwavering commitment to the well-being of its citizens by ensuring they have the resources they need to thrive
- OneMNO Navigators field 8,000-16,000 calls annually
- In their first year, OneMNO Navigators fielded over 5,900 calls
- This year they’ve already done over 10,000 calls and its only October!
Testimonials from citizens:
- “I find the majority of organizations and businesses just give you a robot to talk to and it can be really frustrating. It’s so awesome that you guys have this team to help answer questions. Every time I’ve called the MNO, I have a great experience. You guys are always so pleasant and super knowledgeable”.
- “Thank you for your expertise and for all the work you do”
- “It’s always a pleasure talking with you, you have a positive attitude about things – you are willing to really take the time and talk to people”
- Founded in 2020, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, to help citizens quarantined at home access programs previously only available in-office
- Program offers options to citizens located in areas and offices that may not have program staff on site; this ensures equitable access to MNO programs and services
What You Need to Know:
- Navigators are available for assistance by phone during business hours, via email
- If you do not speak with a Navigator at the time of your call, Navigators will return your call within 48 hours
- Phone: 1-800-263-4889 Ext. 7
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org