The Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) Infinite Reach Student Solidarity Network is comprised of incoming and upper year post-secondary students who have the common goal of working together to enrich and enhance their post-secondary education experience. Members form a community of Métis learners within their college or university and support each other in their academic pursuits. MNO Infinite Reach facilitators are upper year students who can offer assistance to incoming students by helping them adjust to university life. MNO Infinite Reach facilitators also work to create and maintain a sense of community among Métis students.
Throughout the year MNO Infinite Reach facilitators will host/facilitate cultural and informative events to connect students to the local MNO community councils and to the various program, services and events of the MNO. The MNO Infinite Reach: Métis Student Solidarity Network will serve as a community of learners with the ability to inspire Métis students to achieve their full potential and provide the support of the Métis community.
The objectives of the Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) Infinite Reach: Métis Student Solidarity Network are to:
- Establish a community of Métis post-secondary students across Ontario that is connected to each other through their participation in the Infinite Reach program.
- Connect Métis learners with MNO community through cultural events.
- Ease the transition of incoming post-secondary students by partnering them with an upper year mentor who can assist them during their adjustment to post-secondary studies.
- Provide incoming students with culturally appropriate support system that encourages maintenance of traditional Métis values and practices.
- Increase awareness of post-secondary education opportunities among secondary school students by having mentors engaged in outreach to high schools throughout the province.
- Provide facilitators with the opportunity to learn how to effectively raise awareness about issues such as barriers to education for Métis people and the prevalence of violence against Indigenous women.
Infinite Reach Community
The Infinite Reach program intends to create a network of Métis postsecondary students across the province that can share experiences and support one another in their academic pursuits. The relationship between incoming students and facilitators and other Infinite Reach community members is determined by the needs of individual first year students. Some students may wish to communicate with facilitators via email for quick advice regarding university life, and some may want to meet with their facilitators for coffee or at cultural events. The goal of the Infinite Reach program is to create a community of students who can easily connect with one another.
What Makes Us Unique?
While there are a number of mentorship programs available at colleges and universities throughout the province, there is currently no program designed with the specific intent of partnering current Métis post-secondary students with incoming or potential Métis students. The Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) Infinite Reach program is structured as a community or network of Métis learners in order to avoid the hierarchical configuration implicit in many mentorship programmes. In this way the MNO Infinite Reach programme remains consistent with traditional Métis values and customs by acknowledging that each member of the community brings with them unique experiences that when shared can empower others.