Connecting Métis learners with the community!
Infinite Reach Facilitators Wanted!
The deadline for applications for the Winter Semester is:
November 15, 2021
The MNO is pleased to announce the next intake of Infinite Reach Facilitators. We are currently seeking motivated and enthusiastic upper year Métis post-secondary students to act as Facilitators at universities and colleges throughout Ontario for the upcoming academic year. To find out more about what this role entails please visit the Facilitator Information Page. Please note, applications submitted after the closing date may be considered. Click here to learn more and apply to the Infinite Reach Program
Interested in Infinite Reach?
If you would like to become involved in the Infinite Reach Student Solidarity Network as a facilitator or as a member please contact us by email at InfiniteReach@metisnation.org
We are thankful for the ongoing support of the Ministry of College & Universities as part of the Indigenous Learners Policy Framework. The Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) Infinite Reach Student Solidarity Network is comprised of incoming and upper year post-secondary students who have the common goal of working together to enrich and enhance their post-secondary education experience. These members form a community of Métis learners within their college or university and support each other in their academic pursuits. MNO Infinite Reach facilitators are upper year students who can offer assistance to incoming students by helping them adjust to university life. MNO Infinite Reach facilitators also work to create and maintain a sense of community among Métis students.
Throughout the year MNO Infinite Reach facilitators will host and facilitate cultural and informative events to connect students to their local MNO community councils and to the various programs, services, and events offered and held by the MNO. The MNO Infinite Reach Student Solidarity Network serves as a community of learners with the ability to inspire Métis students to achieve their full potential and provide them with the support of the Métis community.
The objectives of the MNO Infinite Reach Student Solidarity Network are to:
- Establish a community of Métis post-secondary students across Ontario that is connected to each other through their participation in the Infinite Reach Program.
- Connect Métis learners with the MNO community through cultural events.
- Ease the transition of incoming post-secondary students by partnering them with an upper year mentors who can assist them during their adjustment to post-secondary studies.
- Provide incoming students with a culturally appropriate support system that encourages maintenance of traditional Métis values and practices.
- Increase awareness of post-secondary education opportunities among secondary school students by having mentors engaged in outreach to high schools throughout the province.
- Provide facilitators with the opportunity to learn how to effectively raise awareness about issues such as barriers to education for Métis people and the prevalence of violence against Indigenous women.
Infinite Reach Community
The Infinite Reach Program intends to create a network of Métis post-secondary students across the province that can share experiences and support one another in their academic pursuits. The relationship between incoming students and facilitators and other Infinite Reach community members is determined by the needs of individual first year students. Some students may wish to communicate with facilitators via email for quick advice regarding university life while some may want to meet with their facilitators for coffee or at cultural events. The goal of the Infinite Reach Program is to create a community of students who can easily connect with one another.
What Makes Us Unique?
While there are a number of mentorship programs available at colleges and universities throughout the province, there is currently no program designed with the specific intent of partnering current Métis post-secondary students with incoming or potential Métis students. The MNO Infinite Reach Program is structured as a community or network of Métis learners in order to avoid the hierarchical configuration implicit in many mentorship programs. In this way the MNO Infinite Reach Program remains consistent with traditional Métis values and customs by acknowledging that each member of the community brings with them unique experiences that when shared can empower others.
Updated: October 26, 2021