MNO Aboriginal Diabetes Education Project
Diabetes is a considerable health concern for Métis people who are at higher risk to contract this disease than the general population. Because of this, the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care provides the Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) with annual funding through the Aboriginal Diabetes Education Project (AB-DEP) to provide resources and information about diabetes risk factors and complications from this disease to Métis people. This Healing and Wellness initiative provides equitable access to resources and opportunities to support the issue of diabetes in all of our communities. This includes:
- Purchase of foot care/chiropody services for eligible cases. This services requires a medical diagnosis of diabetes.
- Financial support to secure transportation to dialysis appointments.
- Purchase of resources to mitigate the symptoms of diabetes.
- Advocacy and system navigation to appropriate community education resources.
- Health Canada
- Canadian Diabetes Association
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Northern Diabetes Health Network
- Association Diabete Quebec
- Canadian National Institute for the Blind
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada
- The Kidney Foundation of Canada
- Dietitians of Canada
- Canadian Health Network