The Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) is pleased to offer the Emergency Repair Program. The MNO’s Emergency Repair Program (ERP) aims to provide low-to-moderate income Métis citizen homeowners with a one-time forgivable loan to complete necessary emergency health and safety repairs to their homes and improve accessibility for persons with disabilities up to maximum of $10,000.
To qualify applicants must:
- Be a registered Métis Nation of Ontario citizen
- Be the registered owner for their property
- Occupy their home as their permanent full-time residence
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Not have received financing from the MNO Home Improvement Program previously
For a property to be eligible it must:
- Be below average market value
- Be in Ontario and off reserve
- Have property insurance
- Have eligible emergency repairs as confirmed by inspection (see below)
Please note, applicants and other household members must not own additional properties including but not limited to rental properties, land, cottages, cabins, and camps. The total gross household income from all occupants over the age of 18 years old must fall below the income threshold by region. Eligible repairs are those that pose an immediate threat to the health and safety of the occupants and are subject to the MNO Housing Inspectors recommendation.
These may include but are not limited to:
- Heating Systems (must provide proof that it’s unrepairable and/or red tagged)
- Structural Repairs
- Roofs that show signs of leaking
- Electrical Repairs deemed necessary by the Authority of Having Jurisdiction
- Leaking Plumbing
- Failing Septic Systems
- Well Water and Well Drilling repairs
- Modification for Persons with Disabilities
Please note, repairs or upgrades for aesthetic purposes only will not be eligible under the Program. This includes but is not limited to garages, driveways, fences, landscape, paint, cleaning services, AC units (unless medical professional has recommended as necessary due to a medical condition – doctors assessment may be required) and any repairs not determined eligible by the program administrators. Due to funding limitations applying for the Program does not guarantee funding. If the cost to complete the repair is over $10,000 that applicant will be required to pay the difference from their own resources.
CONTACT: For more information about the MNO’s Housing and Infrastructure programming and services please contact the MNO Head Office by phone at 613-798-1488 or Toll Free at 1-800-263-4889. For information about the Métis Housing Stabilization Program please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For information about the Emergency Repair Program please email us at email@example.com. Check out the MNO video program showcase to learn more about our programs and how they work!
Updated: June 15, 2022