On April 13, 2017 the Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) and the Canadian Government identified homelessness as a priority in the Canada-Métis Nation Accord and committed to co-developing a Homelessness Partnering Strategy to address the specific needs of Métis people in Ontario. The Canada-Métis Nation Homelessness Accord signed on June 13, 2019 reaffirmed the support of the federal government in the development of long term homelessness solutions and an integrated support system for MNO citizens.
The Métis Housing Stabilization Program is funded through Reaching Home, a federal government program that is part of the Canadian Homelessness Strategy. The program is designed to address the growing issue of homelessness and housing instability by providing housing loss prevention and housing stabilization services. It supports individuals and families who are homeless, at immediate risk of becoming homelessness, or in an unstable housing situation.
Services available through the Métis Housing Stabilization Program include:
- Intervention and prevention support
- Tenant advocacy where MNO staff work as intermediaries to resolve landlord-tenant issues
- Emergency assistance to help avert eviction as well as referral to legal services as required
- Education and support around tenant rights and responsibilities
- Assistance with affordable housing applications and support with priority requests
- Facilitating access to emergency shelters for those who become homeless or are fleeing domestic violence
- Household set up support for those exiting shelters to cover the costs associated with unit set up
- Resource support during a housing search
- Information and referrals to additional community supports and resources
The following supports are available to MNO citizens who are experiencing an immediate homelessness crisis:
- Assistance in obtaining personal identification
- Assistance with emergency shelter placements
- Additional supplementary supports available as required
For all individuals and families that apply support will be assessed on case by case basis.
Looking for support with housing searches? Try our Rental Search Tips.
CONTACT: To access the Program’s services or to learn more about the Program please contact the MNO’s Métis Housing Stabilization Team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 1-800-263-4889 Ext. 350.
Updated: December 6, 2021