The Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) is excited to announce the 2021 Été Youth Cultural Camp from August 9th to 11th, across the province virtually through a Zoom platform.
This 3-day camp is filled with workshops that connect Métis youth with their culture and way of life. While the virtual format is different from past years, we have created a camp that connects Métis youth to their culture and allows them to practice traditional skills and knowledge in their own communities.
The Été Youth Cultural Camp will engage youth through interactions with Métis knowledge holders, PCMNO Senators, MNO staff and facilitators in events/activities that will span the duration of the camp.
The Été Youth Cultural Camp being offered will include:
- Fishing – Métis people are known for their unique way of life. Living off the land and the practice of harvesting is an important component of Métis culture. This session will provide participants with the opportunity to learn the skills, rules and safety precautions of fishing so they will be able to harvest in their own communities.
- Cultural Arts – The Métis people are known for their floral beadwork, music, dance, finger woven sashes and other unique cultural arts. Participants will have the opportunity to learn about the history of these various arts while being able to practice traditional crafts hands-on.
- Outdoor Survival – Being able to live off the land in many different weather conditions is an important part of Métis way of life. During these sessions, participants will learn skills for survival in the wilderness. This will include fire building, water collection, shelter making, and gathering/preparing food.
- Camping at Home – Métis people have strong connections with the land. This session aims to cultivate this connection and provide participants with the skills to get outside and camp at home, or even in their own homes depending on accessibility.
STUDENT ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- Self-identify as Métis
- Enrolled and attending high school within the province of Ontario
- In grades 10, 11, 12 (age 15-18)
- Provide a letter of support from a teacher/guidance counsellor or Métis community council member and a letter of motivation.
Friday, July 2, 2021 11:59 PM EST
Space is limited, so please register and complete the application as soon as possible.
In order to receive the supplies for their session, all forms must be completed. Access to technology and reliable internet is required to participate in the camp.
For assistance, please contact:
Tel: (705) 527-3523