- Programs and Services
The Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) is pleased to offer the MNO Post-Secondary Education Support Program to help Métis students access high quality education and achieve their dreams. With this Program the MNO is offering post-secondary education funding to help Métis students reach their highest potential.
To qualify for the MNO Post-Secondary Education Support Program applicants must:
All Métis students who meet the qualifications are encouraged to apply. The MNO Post-Secondary Education Support Program provides financial support and assistance for college, undergraduate, graduate, and advanced degree programs. This includes Advanced Diploma, Bachelor’s Degree (BA), Undergraduate Degree (all years), Master’s Degree (MA), and Doctorate Degree (PhD) programs.
For apprenticeship, certificate, diploma, or professional certification programs, please contact your nearest MNO Education and Training office to see if you are eligible for other employment and training program supports. The application is free. Once you have applied you will be notified by email as to the status of your application. For this reason, please ensure we have your correct and up-to-date contact information at all times.
CONTACT: If you need help with your application or would like to learn more about the Program please contact us at email@example.com
1. How do I apply for financial assistance through the Post-Secondary Education Support Program?
You can apply online through the Métis Nation of Ontario Program Application Portal. If you require accommodations in order to complete the application or have questions about the application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Must I be a MNO Citizen to receive financial support through the Post-Secondary Education Support Program?
Yes. This program is open to Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) Citizens. This includes those who are currently in the registration process. You will be required to upload a copy of your card or a letter from the MNO Registry during the program application process.
3. How can I receive a MNO Citizenship card?
For more information on obtaining MNO Citizenship please visit the MNO Registry Webpage or call their toll free number at 1-855-798-1006.
4. I’ve submitted my application for MNO Citizenship but don’t have my card yet. How do I get a letter from the MNO Registry?
To obtain a letter from the MNO registry please email email@example.com or call their toll free number 1-855-798-1006.
5. Is my institution eligible?
Eligible institutions include post-secondary institutions recognized through an accrediting body such as Universities Canada, Colleges and Institutes Canada, or another professional association and certification board.
6. I am not a resident of Ontario but I am a MNO Citizen. Am I eligible to receive financial assistance from the Post-Secondary Education Support Program?
You may be eligible if other criteria are met. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
7. Do I have to be attending a Post-Secondary institution in Ontario to receive financial assistance from the MNO?
Not necessarily. As a MNO Citizen, you may be eligible for assistance to attend a Post-Secondary institute outside of Ontario. Support for Post-Secondary education programs outside of Ontario will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Please email us at email@example.com for more information.
8. Can I appeal if my application for financial assistance is not accepted?
It depends. If your application was not accepted due to the eligibility criteria not being met or a lack of funding availability the appeals process is not available. However, if your application was not accepted for a different reason than the appeals process may be available to you. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the appeals process.
9. What programs are eligible under the Post-Secondary Education Support Program?
The Post-Secondary Education Support Program is ideal for the following program types: Advanced Diplomas, all years of an Undergraduate Degree including Bachelor’s Degrees (BA), Master’s Degrees (MA), and Doctoral Degrees (PhD). For apprenticeship, certificate, diploma, or professional certification programs, please contact your nearest MNO Education and Training office to find out more.
10. If I am currently enrolled in a Post-Secondary Program can I still apply?
Yes. You can apply if you are a current post-secondary education student and not funded by another MNO Education & Training program.
11. I have student loans from prior years. Can I apply for funds to pay them back?
No. The Post-Secondary Education Support Program does not pay back student loans for prior years of study.
12. How much financial support can I get through the Post-Secondary Education Support Program?
The amount of financial support you are eligible to receive will vary depending on how many courses you are taking, the overall volume of applications received, and the amount of funding available.
13. Is there a fee for processing my application?
No. The application is free.
14. Where can I find contact information for my local MNO Education and Training Regional office?
You can find a list of the MNO Regional Offices and their contact information at this link here
15. How can I tell where my application is in the system?
After submitting your application online, you can come back to check your application status by logging into your account or by emailing us at email@example.com
16. Do I need to send original documents?
No. You can upload required documents to your online application.
17. Can I send in a paper application form?
No. Applications are currently only accepted online. If you require accommodations in order to complete the application or have questions about the application process please email firstname.lastname@example.org
18. What are the application deadlines?
For the Spring 2020, Fall 2020, and Winter 2021 semesters the application deadline is July 3, 2020.
19. How do I know if my application was received?
You will receive a confirmation email that your application was received. Please ensure that the email address you use to set up your account is one that is active and that you have access to. If you set up your account using a social media site, please ensure the email address that is linked to that site is one that you have access to and can check easily. If you have checked your junk folder and have still not received a confirmation email within 24 hours please contact us at email@example.com
20. I missed the deadline. Will you still accept my application?
Yes. However, once the deadline has passed you will only receive assistance if funding is still available. If you would like to submit an application after the deadline please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
21. How are recipients selected to receive financial support?
Recipients are selected through the following process. The MNO Post-Secondary Education Support Program coordinators will review the applications and provide recommendations based on the applications received and the amount of funding available. From there the MNO Director of Education and Training will then review the selected applications and provide final approval.
22. How will I receive the financial support money?
Please ensure that we have your correct and up-to-date contact information at all times. Applicants who will not be receiving OSAP may have the option of having the MNO pay tuition directly to their school. Otherwise, funds will be deposited into the recipient’s bank account.
23. I’ve moved recently or some of my other personal information has changed. Who do I contact to update my information?
Please email us at email@example.com to notify us of any change to your personal information as soon as possible.
24. What if I withdraw from my Program after receiving funds or do not complete my Program?
Students who withdraw or do not complete their Program in the academic period for which they received assistance may be required to repay all or a portion of the funds they received.
Updated: May 8, 2020