The Métis Nation of Ontario (MNO) is pleased to offer the MNO Home Improvement Pilot Program (MNO-HIP). The MNO-HIP provides low-to-moderate income home owners, who are MNO citizens, with a one-time forgivable loan to complete necessary repairs to their home to extend its useful life and/or improve accessibility for persons with disabilities (to a maximum of $25,000). The Program features two components:
- MNO-HIP Minor Repair: a forgivable loan for minor or emergency repairs up to $9,999.99
- MNO-HIP Major Repair: a forgivable loan for major repairs up to $25,000.00
To be eligible for the Program applicants must:
- Be a Métis Nation of Ontario Citizen with a valid Citizenship number
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Own and occupy their home as their permanent full time residence
- Have eligible home repairs
- Be classified as low-to-moderate income as defined by 60th percentile by region – Appendix A
Eligible Property Types include:
- Single detached homes
- Semi-detached homes
- Townhouses and Row houses
- Condos (some restriction apply)
- Mobile Homes (some restrictions apply)
Eligible repair costs include those that are required to make a house safe while improving energy efficiency. These include but are not limited to the following:
- Legal and Inspection Fees where applicable
- Heating Systems
- Doors and Windows
- Roofs, walls, floors and ceilings
- Vents and louvers
- Electrical Systems
- Septic systems, well water, and well drilling
- Modification for Persons with Disabilities
*Please Note: Repairs or upgrades for aesthetic purposes only are not be eligible under the Program.
Terms and Conditions
The Terms and Conditions of the Program are as follows:
- Loan forgiveness will be earned at an equal monthly rate over a 10 year period for major repairs and 5 year period for minor repairs.
- Loan Repayment will only be required under the following conditions:
- Death of the homeowner(s); sell, rent, or transfer of the unit; and/or the home ceases to be the sole and principle residence of the homeowner(s) prior to the loan forgiveness period being fully earned.
- Failure to submit proof of homeowners’ insurance annually and proof of address.
- Homeowner provides fraudulent or misleading information in the original application
- In the case of 1 or 2 only the unearned forgiveness will be repaid. In the case of 3 the entire loan amount will need to be repaid.
- Loan Security will be required:
- MNO-HIP Minor Repair (up to $9,999.99) a Letter of Agreement and Promissory Note will be executed with the homeowner(s)
- MNO-HIP Major Repair (up to $25,000.00) a Letter of Agreement and a Promissory Note will be executed with the homeowner(s) and registered in 1st or 2nd place on the property title
- For more information about the Program please see our MNO-HIP Frequently Asked Questions Document
- For more information about the income threshold please see our MNO Income Thresholds Document
CONTACT: For more information about the Program please contact the MNO’s Programs Administrator at (705) 722-5022 Ext. 302 or by email at email@example.com
Updated: January 5, 2020